In last week’s follow-up, I mentioned that you can reinstate the menu bar permanently in IE 9 via Group Policy or a registry edit. Some folks wanted to know the details of editing the registry to do this. Here’s how:
- As always, be sure to back up the registry before making changes.
- Log on as an administrator.
- Close all instances of IE.
- Open the registry editor and navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft
- In the right pane, right click and select New, then Key.
- Name the new key Internet Explorer.
- In the Internet Explorer key, create a new subkey and name it Main
- Now you should be in the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Main
- In the right pane, right click and select New and then DWORD Value
- Name the new value AlwaysShowMenus
- Double click the new value and in the value data field, enter 1
- Click OK
- Close the registry editor and open IE9
If you don’t see the menu bar, press ALT to display it. Now it should be there every time you open IE.